Banking and Capital Markets
Direct Charging of Card Fees
In this paper, Stephen King and Rodney Maddock present an alternative approach to regulation involving direct charging for card fees. This approach is technically feasible, improves transparency, meets the objective of efficiency of the payment’s system, and is simpler than current regulation. Read more >
About the Program
The Banking and Capital Markets research program covers research related to Australian banks, credit unions, building societies, capital markets, and associated financial intermediaries.
The program is guided by the Banking Research Program Committee. The purpose of this Committee is to build stronger links and collaborative opportunities between academics, practitioners, industry bodies and regulators, with the aim of increasing both the quantity and relevance of research outcomes to the benefit of all stakeholders.
The responsibilities of the Committee are to:
- Develop a research agenda for finance academics and postgraduate/honours research students.
- Provide feedback on research ideas and outputs generated by, or affiliated with, ACFS. This includes jointly overseeing the development of one Commissioned Paper per year.
- Contribute to the research agenda, with individual contributions including commentary, feedback or other forms of communication.
Research Program Committee
The current members are:
Prof Kevin Davis, ACFS(Chair)
Molly Choucair, ACCC
Dr Silvio Contessi, Monash University
Andrew Cornell,ANZ Banking Group
Steven Cunico, Deloitte
Chris Dalton, Australian Securitisation Forum
Matthew Davison, Martin Currie Australia
Tim Dring, EY
Sarah Edmondson, ASIC
- Ross Edwards, National Australia Bank
- Jean-Pierre Fenech, Monash University
- Roxane Foulser-Piggott, Suncorp
- Robert Gallimore, Australian Securitisation Forum
- Gavin Gunning, Standard & Poor’s
- Brendon Harper, APRA
- Liam Hennessy, Clifford Chance
- Deep Kapur, ACFS
- Rodney Maddock, ACFS
- Prof Nadia Massoud, The University of Melbourne
- Dr Daniel Melser, Monash University
- Dr My Nguyen, RMIT University
- David Norman, RBA
- Louise O’Brien, Bank Australia
- Stewart Oldfield,Field Research
- Jeff Oughton, FIMA
- Tony Pearson, Australian Bankers’ Association
- Alex Sell,exSell Group
- Prof Michael Skully, Monash University
- Stuart Stoyan, MoneyPlace
- Dianne Thomson, Deakin University
- Maria Trinci, KPMG
- Craig Williams, Citi Investment Research
- Matthew Wilson, JCP Investment Partners
Login below if you are a member:
Professor Kevin Davis
Program Leader, Banking and Capital Markets Research ProgramKevin Davis is Professor of Finance at the University of Melbourne, Professor of Finance at Monash University, and Research Director at ACFS. He is co-author/editor of 16 books in the areas of finance, banking, monetary economics and macroeconomics and has published numerous journal articles and chapters in books. He is the Deputy Chair of SIRCA, a member of the Australian Competition Tribunal, and was a panel member of the David Murray-led Financial System Inquiry.